Garages can be used for a ton of things, especially for kids. They are hiding places to crawl into, shelves and counters to climb, tools to play with and containers to open. Like the rest of your house, you need to childproof your garage.
You should be just as thorough about childproofing your garage as you are about the rest of your home.
Here are 10 ways you can childproof your garage
- Make sure your garage door has a sensor line and that it works. Frequently test your opener. Purchase a ASSA ABLOY Sensor Guards.
- Raise your garage door opener so a child can not get to it.
- Keep any keys that can start a vehicle or power tool away from children.
- Lock any spaces a child might choose to crawl into and hide. This includes washers, dryers, refrigerators, freezers, garbage and recycling containers.
- Secure bicycles and motorcycles so they can’t fall.
- Keep all chemicals and toxic liquids tightly sealed and out of reach of children.
- Store lawn care tools so they can’t land on or be accessed by children.
- Store any tool with a sharp or pointed edge out of reach.
- Do not use mothballs in the garage to drive away pests. Mothballs are poisonous to children and pets.
- Install a door lock that reinforces sensors by prohibiting a door from opening.
Ask yourself these questions
- Can my children reach the chemicals and tools I keep in my garage?
- Do I keep my garage as clutter-free as possible?
- How easily can my child get into and out of my garage?
Garage door safety
Garage door technology can easily keep your child safe. Take a look at our state-of-the-art garage doors and openers to protect your children. Contact us today if you are concerned about your child’s safety around your garage and need help childproofing your garage.